New Drug to Tackle the Growing Obesity Problem
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have no sense of taste? Well I currently enduring the 'lovely' experience. Everything tastes....how do I put this....taste-less! Everything still smells as good as before, but eating lacks any enjoyment it once had. I no longer have a favourite food as such. Chocolate has become my most hated food (the texture of chocolate is disgusting, the taste is the only thing it has going for it.) There no longer seems to be a point in eating for the sake of eating. You eat when you're hungry and that's it.
So to the new drug to tackle the growing obesity problem and other health problems for that matter....
There are so many drugs and surgical procedures out there to make people feel full quicker, but has anyone ever thought of removing the enjoyment of eating. Creating a drug that inhibits the action of the taste buds could have many beneficial effects for health. With no sense of taste you will still get hungry so you will still eat, although sweet and salty foods will no longer have the enjoyment factor, therefore what is the point in eating them.
There would be no point adding salt or putting any salt in foods (except as a preservative)because you won't be able to taste it. So if you're eating less salt, you'll decrease your blood pressure, resulting in a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
So there you have it. Inhibition of taste could be beneficial in the long run.
Labels: Health


7 Comments:
I wonder what social effects it would have on both families and social groupings to remove the sense of taste/pleasure from food though? As chief cook for my family, I find it very rewarding to have my (non-obese) family gathered around the dining table, discussing their day and their thoughts. I'd miss that if they didn't really want to eat. And I'd miss the joy of hearing them tell me they enjoyed their meal. How do you separate the taste/obesity thing from the positive benefits of shared food/meals?
Wendy (a friend of Emma's)
The social effects of the having no sense of taste would be catastrophic. I totally agree with the positive benefits of shared meals. The discussion over the dinner table is very valuable, and doesn't occur enough in today's society.
By the way, I don't actually like the idea that I put forward in my blog (but it is possible that the concept could work). Eating less and eating a wide variety of fresh unprocessed food and exercising more is the only way to fight the obesity epidemic.
Good to see that I'm not the only one who explores the blogs of friends of friends.
LOL Flick - I've been home unwell for a couple of days! Can you tell I've been bored??!!?? But truly, the whole obesity epidemic thing is WAAYY interesting. There's a guy (whose name currently eludes me) at Deakin Geelong in the school of Health and Nutrition who has just finished a fairly comprehensive 3 year study of 2 areas in country Vic where one area has had a big health/nutrition push thingy and the other hasn't. Must say that I was amazed at how much rubbish was sent in school lunchboxes in BOTH areas. And I have some other thoughts . . . . would obesity in children be rising at such a rate if the Kennett Govt hadn't closed so many schools and kids could walk to school more easily? (My kids could've walked to their primary school before our local school was closed but couldn't walk to primary school after due to needing to cross major roads that aren't safe). Is the move towards higher density housing reducing the chances of kids to exercise in their own backyards? I think my kids would exercise more if we had more space. Is the cultural push towards families owning more "stuff" (i.e. material goods) causing 2 parents to work and reducing the likelihood of one parent being home to cook a main meal from basic ingredients? What affect does homework load have a child's likelihood to play/exercise outside? Again I can only comment on my own kids (grades 4 and 6) who would prefer to play in the afternoon but feel they must get their homework finished first (often as much as an hour or more a day). How much of this "problem" is nutrition and how much is exercise? Can these two lifestyle issues be separated?
My other interesting thought is this. We consult an endocrinologist for our 9 year old son (long story) and his thought is that generally speaking, until the age of around 3 a child's growth is based on their nutrition but after the age of 3 their growth pattern tends to be somewhat genetically predetermined. I don't think I could make my kids fat even if I wanted to cause they simply are NOT fat gened kids. But I have friends where the parents are "solid" and so are the kids. Is this really part of the obesity epidemic or are they just bigger kids due to their parents?
Wendy
PS We don't have an obesity epidemic in our house - just ask Emma
Hi Wendy,
I hope you're feeling better.
Have you ever considered writing your own blog?? Just an idea.
Flick
Hey there Flick! Is your suggestion that I write a blog an indication that you don't want such long comments 8-)??????
Love
Wendy (who is feeling much better now thanks)
No, not at all. I was hoping that you weren't going to take it that way.
Well I'd write a nice long comment on lambing for you but I must say that I just don't know anything at all about lambing. Sounds good though. Happy lambing and I'll be back with my long comments once you get back to health and nutrition!
Love
Wendy
Post a Comment
<< Home